Part II – Why CrossFit
CrossFit is a “broad, general and inclusive” fitness program. It welcomes all levels, beginner to professional. The CrossFit program utilizes various methods and styles in an effort to improve 10 aspects of fitness. Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, gymnastics, are a few of these methods. By varying to this extreme Crossfit focuses on preparation for many different situations and circumstances, just like LIFE. CrossFit will prepare you for anything.
Our specialty is not specializing!
CrossFit does not specialize in any one thing, but strives to be very good in all things. Life rewards generalist and punishes specialist. When you become a specialist in one area, you become deficient in another. Look at any triathlete, they are the best at long distance events, but most could not do a pull-up to save their life, literally. Being able to have strength is fundamentally essential. A powerlifter could pick up a car just for fun, but trying to out run a turtle might kill him.
These are the 10 general physical skills required of optimal physical competence:
1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance – the ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen
2. Stamina – the ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
3. Strength – the ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units to apply force.
4. Flexibility – the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. Power – the ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed – the ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
7. Coordination – the ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movements.
8. Agility – the ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance – the ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
10. Accuracy – the ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity
Crossfit will help you pull that heavy spare tire out of your car, push the car if it is out of gas or run 5 miles to the gas station if you don’t feel like pushing it! Crossfit will make you look fit and athletic, but more importantly, it will increase your work capacity, and lead to a healthier more functional life.